Since I only have worked for the same company short of 9 years now, this will be my Top Ten (odd/unusual/funny/interesting) job experience list.
1. I take naps on the company SUV.
*Okay, when I started I was a plant support engineer. I go to the manufacturing plant to attend wire harness review and since the manufacturing plants are 20 minutes of so drive from the Engineering center where I report, thus, the cat naps.
2. I compare part by part each wire harness components (each connector, each terminal, each tape, each tube, each clip/retainer, etc.) to the actual part on the materials receiving area. Good thing if your assigned harness are small harness like doors or tailgate harnesses. Try the Instrument Cluster or the Floor or Main harness. Good luck! But it was a good experience!
3. I wear plastic goggles the kind with the nerdy black or blue plastic pipings. It is a safety must when entering the manufacturing area. But these days, the engineers wear a much cooler shades-like version of the plastic goggles.
4. I have had the experience to work with counterparts from all over the globe. North Americans, Japanese, French, Swedish, Germans, Romanian, British, Mexicans. I may have forgotten some though.
5. I’ve been moved or assigned seats around 20 times already. Average of 2 seat movements a year. Probably this June we’ll have another seating re-arrangement.
6. We have a 24-hour bereavement leave in the event one of our family dies (knock on wood), but with this guidelines:
Single : parents, brothers, sisters
Married : spouse, children, parents, in-laws.
So apparently if you get married, you will not be brothers or sisters with your siblings, anymore? HR has to re-think this policy.
8. I’ve had the chance to support a Mazda program for 9 months at Hiroshima, Japan. Some of my colleagues actually have a lot more travel opportunities but I’m happy to stay put for now.
9. We were issued bikes not cars on Japan. So you are in big trouble if you don’t know how to ride a bicycle. We do have a transportation allowance though, so you can ride the bus or taxi cabs.
10. I’m cheating, this is not my experience but an office mate’s, one time she was on a graveyard shift, she noticed on her table mirror someone passed by her back, but when she looked, there was no one there. Eeeeeeee!